Chia seeds certainly have a place in desserts. Adding that nutritious crunch to confections makes an outstanding sweet treat. One chia dessert that is sure to blow your mind and grab the attention of your taste buds is the two-layer banana chia cake with peanut butter frosting. Who doesn’t love bananas with peanut butter? It is a popular flavor combination that just works. The stand out aspect of this recipe is the fact that it is a cake that you do not have to feel guilty about. The cake itself is made with almond flour, flaxseed meal and almond milk while the base for the frosting is calcium packed Greek yogurt which is also an excellent source of protein. In addition to delivering in both nutrition and taste, this cake has presentation value. Presenting this lovely cake at the end of a meal will make it extra special. Whether it is just a weekday or a holiday, this cake is sure to be appreciated. The banana and peanut butter flavors are well balanced and complement each other. The texture of the cake is really nice as well. It is like a banana bread/cake hybrid. Check out the recipe below.
- 2 cups plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
- 5 generous tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons low fat cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons honey or agave
- 2 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups almond flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- 2/3 cup honey or agave
- ½ cup flaxseed meal
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup butter or margarine, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Pinch of salt
You will need:
- 2 8-inch round cake pans
- 2 8-inch parchment rounds
- Cooking spray
- Cake stand, optional
- In a bowl add the Greek yogurt and peanut butter.
- Use an electric mixer to beat on medium for about a minute or until well combined.
- Add the cream cheese, honey and vanilla extract. Beat on medium until a creamy consistency is achieved.
- Tightly cover and store in the fridge until it is time to frost the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat each cake pan with cooking spray and place a parchment round on the bottom of each. Lightly spray the parchment rounds. You want the cakes to slide out easily.
- Add the almond flour, flaxseed meal, tapioca flour, chia seeds, baking soda and salt to a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk until well combined and set aside.
- Add the butter/margarine and honey in a separate bowl and beat with an electric mixer on high or until creamy.
- Add one egg at a time as you continue to beat on high.
- Add in the mashed bananas, almond milk and vanilla extract. Mix on medium until everything is well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix by hand until well incorporated.
- Pour the cake batter into the pans.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Carefully remove the cakes from the pans and peel off the parchment. Leave to finish cooling.
- Use a knife to level each layer if needed. Simply trim off the rounded tops.
- Place onto your cake platter and add a layer of frosting on top of one of the cakes.
- Top with the second layer.
- Frost the entire cake. Feel free to be creative.
- Slice and serve.